Fort Worth Astronomical Society main@FWAS.groups.ioFrom the 1920's through the 1950's, a woman named Charlie Mary Noble taught math at Paschal High School, celestial navigation to US Navy pilots during WWII at TCU, and astronomy to children at the Fort Worth Children's Museum (now the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History.) She built a dome and basic planetarium in her backyard and showed the marvels of the night sky to countless young people in Fort Worth. Today, the museum's planetarium is named in her honor.
In 1947 she formed the Junior Astronomy Club, one of the first amateur astronomy clubs in the United States. So many parents came with their children to these meetings, that in 1949 an adult society was organized and the Fort Worth Astronomical Society (FWAS) was born.
This members-only E-Group compliments the FWAS website at www.fortworthastro.org.
June, 2020 - May, 2021
President: Michelle Theisen
Vice President: Ed Gill
Treasurer: John Giromini
Board of Directors:
Tom Roth, Si Simonson
Jerry Gardner, Larry Barker
Outreach Chairman: John Dowell
Outreach Coordinators: Patrick McMahon
ALCor: John Giromini
Young Astronomer Facilitators:
Noble Planetarium Liaison: Sarah Twidal, Scott Sumner
Newsletter Editor-'Prime Focus': George C. Lutch
Information Officer: Trista Oppermann
Website/Social Media Administrator: Shawn Kirchdorfer
- 147 Members
- 13,067 Topics, Last Post:
- Started on
Group Email Addresses
- All members can post to the group.
- Posts to this group do not require approval from the moderators.
- Messages are set to reply to group.
- Subscriptions to this group require approval from the moderators.
- Archive is visible to members only.
- Wiki is visible to members only.
- Members can edit their messages.
- Members can set their subscriptions to no email.